It may seem counterintuitive to use charcoal to purify the skin, but activated charcoal is one of the most fashionable methods in beauty treatments designed to take care of the skin and leave it clean, firm and smooth. Among the properties of activated carbon is its absorption capacity. This absorption capacity, based on an electrical-type attraction, allows activated carbon to remove oil, dirt and other harmful substances that may remain in the skin pores.
When we talk about activated carbon we are talking about a coal with added oxygen. Used by the medical community to treat gastrointestinal tract infections and nausea, the activated charcoal powder is a common ingredient in certain face masks.
Activated charcoal, used topically, is an ideal substance to eliminate blackheads and pimples on oily skin and tends to have acne.
The activated carbon is detoxifying, disinfectant reduces the size of the pores, balances the PH of the skin and decreases the accumulated sebum in the face.
Homemade activated carbon recipes
If you want to make your own activated carbon mask in your own home, you just have to follow the following instructions to the letter:
- Take 0.2 grams of powdered activated carbon placed in a non-metallic container, half a teaspoon of bentonite clay and half a teaspoon of water.
- Mix the ingredients to make a smooth paste. To make the mixture use a non-metallic utensil.
- Once the mixture is done, check on your wrist whether you suffer or not some type of allergic reaction.
- Wash your face and dry it gently trying to keep a little moisture. Once this is done, apply the activated carbon mask avoiding placing it on the skin around the eyes and lips. After applying the mask, let it dry for about 10 minutes. If you notice that it itches excessively, remove it with water.
- Once the mask has dried you can remove it with water, washing the face completely. After removing it, dry your face with a dry towel and place a moisturizer on your skin.
Next, we propose another formula to make a mask of activated carbon at home.
- Take an activated charcoal capsule, a tablespoon of skimmed milk and an unflavored gelatin sachet. Activated charcoal (powder or capsule) can be purchased at herbalists or in stores specializing in beauty or food.
- Put in a bowl the envelope of gelatin and skim milk.
- Heat the bowl in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Insert the activated charcoal capsule into the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the charcoal is mixed with the gelatin and milk. Once mixed you will have the activated carbon mask made.
- Apply the mask on the entire face. As you already know, avoid placing it around the eyes and lips.
- Let the mask act on the skin for 20 minutes and, when they have elapsed, remove it with warm water.
After the application of the activated carbon mask, you will notice how the skin of the face presents a less greasy and smooth appearance. Once a week would be, as a rule, the recommended guideline to apply an activated carbon mask.
You may also like Carbon masks: Benefits for your skin